Book Review: The Truth About Santa

Wormholes, robots, and science explain what really happens on Christmas Eve

By Alex Hunn, Website Editor and Reporter

IMG_1517As the holiday season approaches, many of us remember with fondness the legend of Santa Claus.  Ever since they were young, children everywhere have been told that on every Christmas Eve a fat man in a red suit travels the globe in a sleigh drawn by magic, flying reindeer, delivering presents to the good boys and girls of the world.

“Preposterous!” scoffs the enlightened individual.  “Such a personage cannot possibly exist!  What you describe is, quite frankly, impossible!”

I might be inclined to agree.  I myself have been a believer in the jolly old man’s antics for many years, but upon closer inspection they do seem quite implausible.  How, for instance, does Santa know if a child has been naughty or nice?  How does he eat all those cookies without succumbing to serious medical conditions?  And, most of all, how does he deliver presents to every single nice child in the world in the span of a single night?  Many have come to the conclusion that only magic could accomplish such feats and dismiss Santa Claus as a children’s fairy tale.

But not Gregory Mone.

Mone, author of The Truth About Santa: Wormholes, Robots, and What Really Happens on Christmas Eve, knew that, as put by science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, “any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”  He sought out to prove that St. Nick’s gift-giving routine was plausible using the power of science ─ and prove it he did.

He solved all of the mysteries surrounding the annual flight.  Who is Santa Claus?  A man named Jebediah Meserole, a shipbuilder hailing from mid-nineteenth-century Brooklyn, New York, and the original St. Nicholas.  How does he accomplish the deliveries?  Easy: wormholes, time travel, and a lot of employees.  How’s he managed to stay alive for so long?  Simple: organ printing, robotic surgeons, and hibernation.  What about the flying reindeer?  Trick question, reindeer can’t fly: he uses a warp drive and only keeps the reindeer around for PR.

This technology isn’t as futuristic as it may seem.  Some of the technologies Mone addresses are almost within the grasp of human science, and others within the realm of possibility.

“But wait!” the skeptic cries.  “While I admit the technology can exist, you claim that Santa originates from the mid-1800s, when this technology couldn’t have existed!  How do you propose he got all of this?”

Aliens, obviously.  Must I spell it all out for you?

In summation, The Truth about Santa is an intriguing read for believers and non-believers alike, as well as anyone fascinated by science or just looking for a good read to get into the holiday spirit.

[Check it out on Amazon]

Alex Hunn, Website Editor and Reporter

Alex Hunn is an avid gamer, musician, and mathematician.  In his nonexistent free time, he can be found playing Sonic the Hedgehog, drawing cartoon characters...