September/October Finds

Discover Something New

By Jasmine López, Editor

The start of Fall is something we all look forward to. It means the smell of fresh pies baking, the sound of leaves crunching under your footsteps, and for us Californians it means a break from the hot weather. The change of season brings about new finds such as books, music, food, and movies. Keep reading to discover new finds that perhaps you’ll enjoy as well.

Books

When walking into Barnes and Noble, the first book you’ll see is Turtles all the Way Down by John Green. He brought us The Fault in Our Stars, and now he brings us the story about sixteen year old bestfriends Aza and Daisy. Aza is juggling trying to be a good daughter, friend, and student. However, a mystery of a billionaire fugitive intrigues Daisy, and she is eager to pursue it. She drags Aza onto this adventure with her.

Adam Silvera born and raised in the Bronx is a New York Times bestselling author. Although he is new to the game with only three published works, they are critically acclaimed. His new book, They Both Die at the End, is about Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio whom receive some bad news. They are going to die today. However, the two guys -both strangers- want to make a new friend before they die. Luckily, there is an app called the Last Friend which allows them to meet to enjoy one last run.

Music

On August 18, 2017, Taylor Swift deleted all her posts from all her social media which arouse speculations. Then, she posted a few short clips of a coiled snake which many fans and news sources believed it to be a reference to feuds she had with other celebrities. Many conspired she was going to announce a new album. A few days later, she announced that her new album would be released on November 1oth. In the meantime, she’s released a couple of singles in which fans are seeing a new side to her music, “Look What You Made Me Do,” “…Ready for It,” and “Gorgeous.”

Two rappers, Future and Young Thug, came together to create a new project titled, Super Slimey. The mixtape which consist of 13 songs feature Southside, Richie Souf, Wheezy, London on Da Track, Mike WiLL Made-IT and more. The Atlanta Natives pay respect to studio engineer, Seth Firkins, with a song on the mixtape. Firkins passed away, and he helped pave the way for the two rappers. Future posted on his social media a tribute, “I always gave racism a cold shoulder because my real brother is a white guy by the name of Seth Firkins.”

The band, Weezer, released a new single on October 18, 2017. The single “Happy Hour,” is from their upcoming album Pacific Daydream. The track is nonchalant, and the fifth track released from the album, following “Beach Boys,” “Feels Like Summer,” “Weekend Women,” and “Mexican Fender.”

Movies

Goodbye Christopher Robins, the British film features Margot Robbie, Domhnall Gleeson, and many more. The film was directed by Simon Curtis whom is known for directing My Week with Marilyn. The film centers around A. A. Milne, the author of the beloved children’s story Winnie-the-Pooh. The film is set in England post First World War. A. A. Milne finds inspiration for the children’s tales through his interactions with his son, Christopher Robin Milne, who is in the prime of his childhood.

Only the Brave, the film that narrates the real life story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots which was an elite crew of firefighters who passed away while battling the Yarnell Hill Fire in June 2013. The dedicated film features Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Jeff bridges, and more. It was released  Friday, October 20th.