Recommendation of the Week – Buzzfeed Unsolved: Supernatural

By Lauren Byerly, Reporter

I have been sick with the flu for this past week, which has put me in the rare position of not being able to sleep but also being too foggy and tired to work. I had headaches, a fever, a sore throat, and a cough mixed with a dash of nausea at times. With this in mind, I looked through all the shows I was watching on Netflix to find something interesting, but to no avail. At first I gave up, scrolling through stupid Instagram memes until I wanted to spoon my eyes out, but then I remembered something.

A few months ago a friend of mine told me about a series called Buzzfeed Unsolved: Supernatural. Now, I’ll admit right off the bat that I don’t find most of Buzzfeed’s videos that interesting, and I’m not the biggest fan of ghost shows (I’m a wimp) but this show seemed to be the rare exception to my preconceived notions about both Buzzfeed and supernatural shows. It did not have any of the repetitive elements of an unimaginative Buzzfeed video, but it was not a show run by two people who would go to any lengths to prove ghosts were real; they weren’t insane, they were just interested.

The attitude with which the hosts face the ghosts they try to document in this show is slightly more casual than the average show; They don’t take themselves too seriously.

The main thing that makes this show stand out to me is the hosts themselves. They took the show from the typical supernatural show which aims to scare the viewer into an interesting dive into the ghost story and a funny (and at times a little scary) exploration of a site related to said story.

But why do I think this, and how do the hosts make the show what it is? I believe that the most important part of how Shane and Ryan host this show is their views on the supernatural. Shane is not a believer in ghosts while Ryan is, and this dynamic keeps the show in balance throughout the whole series. When Ryan dives too deep into his own head and overanalyzes what is happening, Shane is the one who brings the much needed element of reality back to the series. When Shane is too analytical and almost seems to forget that the point of the show is seeing if ghosts are real not refuting every claim of ghosts at every turn, Ryan’s strong belief centers the series once again. Neither fully overpowers the other, they just keep each other in check. This delivers something to  both believers and skeptics and lets them watch the show and enjoy it while knowing that someone is on their side.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend that in whatever free time us high school students have, you watch Buzzfeed Unsolved. It is a funny and witty exploration into the existence of ghosts, and if a scardy cat like me can watch it without getting spooked, I’m sure it will do no harm to you.