One Girl Cookies – New York

By Shelby Benz, Editor

Wedged wood counters are ornamented with aqua-blue plates, cups and saucers, milk-glass cake stands, and kitchen equipment; cups, wood planks, and blue baskets hang from the holes of a large white pegboard that spans the length of the front counter. A surrealistic mural is painted with balmy, pastel colors and geometric shapes and lines. The people in the painting have exaggerated features and friendly smiles; they are positioned around a table, sharing food and sharing the moment.

Although seemingly two-dimensional, the mural carries a greater significance than what meets the eye.

Co-owner of One Girl Cookies bakery, David Crofton, fingered through the corners of the store’s recipe book and flipped to a page with a black and white photo. He held the photo adjacent to the painting. The distinctive hair, that David mentioned, of the man in the photo matched one of the figures in the mural. Each character in the picture was specially designed to represent members of one large family.

One Girl Cookies started with just one girl. Dawn Casale was inspired by her family history rooted in the power of sharing a dinner table, “I learned what I know about food through osmosis” she penned in the her recipe book.

While in the process of expanding the small business, Dawn was introduced by a mutual friend to David Crofton, who was completing pastry school at the time. The two became roommates and David became the newest member of the One Girl Cookies team, “He was a dream employee for me, and he claims that I was the best boss he’d ever had.”

After dabbling in other restaurant pursuits, David returned to One Girl, surprising Dawn with an arrangement of sugar cookies that spelled out the words, “Will you marry me?” The family, the story, and the business expanded to eventually become “Brooklyn’s Beloved Bakery.”

Currently, One Girl Cookies has three stores throughout the Brooklyn borough. Open for about 3 and ½ years, building 2 of Industry city is the newest location and warehouse facility of the One Girl Cookies brand, with its large commercial baking space, subway lines conveniently placed, allowing access and opportunity for customers as well as employees, and affordable rent, says co-owner David Crofton.

Industry City is a “groovy place,” says Crofton, noting how the company “embraces that artistry” which bleeds into their store in soft colors and light wallpaper. He explained that the beauty of IC lies in the “refurbishment” of older, post-industrial warehouses that enjoy second acts as cultural incubators with attention paid to even the smallest of details. He posed the patina green facades of security guard booths across the hall, as an example.

The pace of Industry City is “driven by what is happening,” David said in regarding the numerous cultural events that attract customers from all distances, locals and tourists alike. There are programs, like Friday night yoga, concerts, art galleries, and Brooklyn pop-ups and various art pieces positioned in the courtyards between the buildings.

The store has an expansive menu. Known for their marquee pumpkin and chocolate whoopie pies ($2.50 each), One Girl Cookies also sells tea cookies and cupcakes in a variety of flavors.

The pastries are assigned names to match their respective descriptions, such as the spicy and bold Susanna or the zesty and creamy Sadie. The buttery shortbread, espresso-spiked caramel and chocolate Lucia, was named in honor of Dawn’s great-grandmother.

“Food feeds the soul” says Dawn Casale in her book, “And a well-fed soul is a happy soul.”

Black and white family photos adorn gift boxes and decorations throughout the store. To pay homage to the family members that fostered the couple’s shared love for food, the family members that are illustrated in the mural sit together eternally at the table.

The “love story,” as described by Dawn, stretches to all of the members at the table, “And no meal could be deemed delicious unless an outpouring of love was involved in creating it.”

Shelby Benz, Editor

Shelby Benz is a Senior at Modesto High School who is currently enrolled in the International Baccalaureate Programme. She is a very involved student who...