The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

A Freezing New Trend to Raise Awareness

By Natalie Schlenker, Staff Writer

You’ve seen it all over your feeds on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. For the past few weeks, people have been dumping buckets full of freezing ice water on their heads in the name of striking out this disease. Our own Panther Press teacher, Mrs. Glenn has been nominated, and I, myself, have been nominated three times. If you haven’t seen the challenge, the rules are simple:
1. Someone must call you out and nominate you to do the challenge. You have 24 hours after you are nominated to complete the challenge.

2. Record yourself completing the challenge. Say who you nominated you, nominate some of your friends, and dump a bucket of freezing water on yourself!

3. If you do not complete the challenge within the given amount of time you are supposed to donate $100 to ALS research, and if you do complete the challenge you donate $10. (Didn’t know that? Well, yes, it’s true.) However, you can donate whatever amount you are comfortable with at alsa.org (The official ALS Association website).

While thousands of people are doing this challenge, many of them don’t know what it’s really about, or what ALS actually is. ALS stands for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and it is a disease that causes the brain and nerves to lose the ability to control muscle movement, causing them to weaken and waste away. As it progresses, the disease also affects breathing and swallowing and can lead to total paralysis.

This challenge is meant to spread awareness and encourage donations to research that will help find a treatment or cure for the ALS.

Some have criticized that the challenge wastes water and isn’t actually beneficial. This isn’t totally true. Since July 29th, around the time the Ice Bucket Challenge became well known, the ALS Association has received close to 42 million dollars, in contrast to the 2.1 million raise last year within the same time period. The ALS Association has also stated that people should repurpose the water after they use it for the challenge. If you are nominated, keep in mind that we are in a drought, so try to find a way to reuse the water.

To learn more about ALS or the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, visit www.alsa.org

Also, watch Mrs. Glenn and me do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge on YouTube

Natalie Schlenker, Reporter

Natalie Schlenker is a senior in the International Baccalaureate program at Modesto High School. She played volleyball for Modesto her freshman and sophomore...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge”

1. Mackenzie Anderson on August 23rd, 2014 2:20 pm

If Mrs. Glenn does the challenge PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post in on youtube or something so I can see it!! Also, great story!

2. adviser on August 23rd, 2014 3:42 pm

She already did it on Friday! We are editing the video. It will be added to the story early next week.

3. Mackenzie Anderson on September 15th, 2014 7:29 pm

WATCHED THE VIDEO I’M DYING HI MRS GLENN YOU’RE MY IDOL

*

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge