Lock Down at MoHI

By Trevor Pedron, Reporter

Monday, April 10th, made this week that much more interesting: aside from the already short week (we had Friday off), most students at Modesto High were unable to attend their afternoon classes, or anything past Fourth Period actually, due to a lock-down that started around 10:45 a.m. The lock-down was in response to police activity on the 400 block of Yosemite Boulevard, where a gunshot was heard and reported by residents. The police found a lone man, Alonzo Watkins, age 19, in the house and surrounded the building for approximately 2 1/2 hours. After some time, the SWAT team managed to arrest Watkins, and found multiple firearms within the house. The issue was resolved by 2:30 p.m.

Meanwhile, at MoHi, the lock-down alarms went off, and students scrambled to the nearest classroom. Most then waited the next 150 minutes talking with friends, doing work, or sleeping. Those unlucky enough not to have their lunches with them had to wait to eat until after the lock-down was over, and it wasn’t until around 1:30 or 2:00 that administrators came around to escort classes to the restrooms.

Those at the cage had an even better time: most stayed in their cars for fear of an intruder on campus, but after the first hour, they recognized no true danger and became more comfortable. Some of the more daring students even  held mock drag-races until Campos and administrators came to escort them back into the library.

Needless to say, after the long wait, students were glad for waiting until 2:30, and even more so when it was announced that Eighth Period had been cancelled for the day, as had classes like Theory of Knowledge, held after eighth period for IB Juniors and those interested. The revelry was quite grand.