College Information Sessions

Some of the colleges represented in Mrs. Cardoza's office

By Lauren Byerly, Reporter

Modesto High is full of opportunities to learn about and contact colleges, along with their representatives. One of these many chances to learn more about the college process is through the college information sessions, which are held regularly throughout the year. In the last year alone, 18 information sessions were held on campus! However, this is not even the most impressive number. This year there will be more than 30 information sessions held! Mrs. Cardoza, Modesto High School’s own college counselor, says that these presentations are “an opportunity which students should take advantage of.”

These presentations serve several purposes: they allow students to understand the culture of the school discussed, see the standards which the average accepted applicant has met, receive pamphlets with statistics on the diversity and interests of the student body, learn about scholarship opportunities, and make contacts at the college with admissions officers (who will most often be the exact same people who read applications that come from the Central Valley).

Understanding the culture of schools that one is interested in is very important. If a college’s academics and location look perfect to a student, the only question left is culture. If the student body is known for partying, socialite students will often feel uncomfortable in academically focused groups, while the opposite is also true. Particularly studious people can also feel overwhelmed or excluded in extremely social groups.

In order to understand what you have to achieve in order to get into a college, looking at the high school achievements of their  average student is crucial. When you are able to meet those standards, you are much more likely to be accepted into said college and can then make plans accordingly (although it is important to remember that one should never base all of their plans for the future on their chances of acceptance to one specific college).

The pamphlets and fliers which the representatives for the college handout to those who attend the sessions have extremely useful data. They often discuss demographics at the school including the races, ethnicities, states, and countries represented in their student body. If a student wants to have a particularly diverse college experience or wants to branch out and interact with international students, they can take the information in this section into consideration when deciding whether or not to apply to the college in question.

Financial aid and scholarships are important tools which allow many students to go to college. Some schools have specific scholarships for their school and different applications for student aid besides FAFSA (the government financial aid request form). It is important to understand these to see if the school being considered can meet the needs of the student.

Lastly, forming connections and getting the contact information of the representatives and admissions officers at the presentation is very valuable. This gives you the ability to ask questions later in the year as application season draws closer and to help admissions officers get to know you!

These information sessions are invaluable, and colleges from all over California and the United States travel to Modesto High to tell students about the opportunities and experiences which students can experience in their institution. Sign up through Naviance for the one held by the college on the list which most interests you today!