Aftermath of Hurricane Florence

By Matthew Smith, Reporter

Hurricane Florence is moving away from North Carolina, but that doesn’t mean they’re done with the consequences of a hurricane. Over 35 people have died from North Carolina, Virginia, and South Carolina. There are well over 340,000 people currently in North Carolina without any power in their homes. Several towns in North Carolina have well over 30 inches of rain water flooding the streets. About 10,000 people are currently being homed in shelters and 16 rivers have flooded. There are many charities assisting those impacted by the hurricane like Operation BBQ which is providing hot food to those in North Carolina. Micheal Jordan is also donating two million dollars to aid in the hurricane relief. The president also commends the coast guard for what they are doing to help the victims of the hurricane and he plans on visiting North Carolina this Wednesday. The president believes that his administration is doing a fantastic job at alleviating the situation; hopefully he can live up to that statement by providing even more aid for the troubled people. The 12,000 residents who reside close to the Cape Fear River risk losing their homes and lives if the river continues to rise. Despite the fact that well over a million chickens died and many crops suffered from water damage, there is some good news. Over 2000 people and 500 animals were rescued from the flooding. There is currently 191 coast guards stationed at North Carolina and 26 shallow water boat times in response to the hurricane. Some of the residents of North Carolina are attempting to assist those suffering like pastor Roy Rogers who turned his church, Divine Refuge Ministries, into a shelter for the people in his impoverished community. While the Hurricane has been devastating for the three states impacted by it, it’s also helped bring a community closer together and show how compassion and generosity can make such an awful crisis like Hurricane Florence just a little easier to bare.