Migrant Caravan Marches To The United States

By Rana Banankhah, Reporter

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

America was founded on the backbones of immigrants. From the moment the first colonists arrived to present day, immigrants have played a key role in our society. Now, our country is completely divided over the issue of immigration. Recently, a migrant caravan started by one hundred and sixty Hondurans from marching their way over to the United States in hopes of safety, freedom, and a better life are reigniting the debate over immigration. Currently, the caravan consists of approximately seven thousand migrants and is growing each day, as desperate situations in countries such as Mexico and Guatemala force citizens to migrate. As this issue has sprung its way into the media, Americans’ views are becoming more and more polarized. There are those who are strongly against immigration and those who wholeheartedly believe immigrants should be accepted into America.

In 2015, when announcing his presidential campaign, Donald Trump remarked, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you… They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.” President Trump constantly says that immigrants are “infesting” America and that we must deport all illegal immigrants. On the contrary, others oppose his negative views about immigration by arguing that immigrants are fleeing from wars, gangs, drugs, or corrupt governments and that we should open our arms to them. Nevertheless, President Trump says that he’s doing anything in his power to prevent the migrant caravan from entering the United States.

Freshman Bella Jordan said, “There’s a migrant caravan coming to the U.S?” and, “Heck yeah, they should come!” Other freshmen, such as Lili Furtado, also expressed their support for the immigrants. “They should come as long as they’re violent…just don’t kill me,” remarked Lili. Although there are mixed opinions, Modesto High’s students seemed to generally support the immigrants’ journey to the United States.

Rana Banankhah, Reporter

Rana Banankhah is currently a freshman in the International Baccalaureate program at Modesto High School. In eighth grade, she actively participated in...