CAASPP or SBAC?

By Trevor Pedron, Reporter

The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) is a statewide, standardized test that Modesto High’s Junior Class has spent the last week taking for half a day every day (except Friday). Well, actually, they were taking the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC), which is the “newest and largest component of CAASPP” and is a “modern, technology-based program, with students performing the assessments on computers.” This is true: the Juniors spent the week staring at computer screens answering Math- and English-oriented questions on the school computers in the library and computer labs.

Overall, the tests were not particularly difficult: those who are taking lower-level math classes may have run into some minor problems, but aside from that, the only real difficulty was the boredom and dissatisfaction experienced by the students, many of whom made their complaints known to each other.

The Juniors’ schedules were disrupted by the testing, losing the morning sessions (1st – 3rd Periods) on Tuesday and Thursday and the afternoon sessions (5th – 7th Periods) on Monday and Wednesday. Many classes are behind because of it, while others are on schedule, depending on which classes were during which periods.

We hope our Juniors did well, and look forward to receiving their results!