Save Net Neutrality!

By Michelle Tipton, Reporter

On December 14th, the FCC voted to repeal Net Neutrality, a law put in place during the Obama era. According to Google, net neutrality is the principle that internet service providers should enable access to all contents and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites. The vote on net neutrality was split 3-2 and this was a huge letdown for many Americans as 83% of Americans support Net Neutrality, according to a poll done by the Hill.com. In response, several states began pledging to stop the FCC from rolling back net neutrality. One of the main people in charge of this lawsuit is Eric T. Schneiderman, attorney general of New York, who believes America will lose a lot without a free and open internet.

In an interview with Futurism, Schneiderman said, “The internet is the public square for the 21st century, but without net neutrality, it will become a private square- with massive corporations deciding what people and what ideas get in.” Without net neutrality, internet service providers will be able to censor content.” Among the groups that will be hit the hardest is women and minorities who have been historically marginalized and silenced throughout history and many fear that they will be in danger of being marginalized and silenced once again through censorship. But the fight isn’t over yet, there is still a chance to save net neutrality and that is by contacting your local representatives because Congress still has the power to overturn this repeal. Contact your representatives and tell them to save net neutrality!