Bus Fare Increase

By Matthew, Reporter

Do you ride Modesto’s city bus? Do you have any friends that ride the bus? If so, this information can prove to be of the utmost importance. As of February 1st, the Modesto Area Express, or the MAX buses will no longer be giving passengers transfers. For those who don’t know, a transfer is a paper that bus drivers give so that you can switch buses to get to your destination. For example, if you get on bus 21 at our school, you might need to get on bus 25 to get home. A transfer allows this change without any extra prices. Well, at the end of January, this will no longer be the case. Most students who take the city bus have to ride at least four buses in a day. Normally, the bus fare is a dollar and 25 cents. That bus fare is now being raised to a dollar and 50 cents. This means that a normal two dollars and 50 cents required will be raised to six dollars. The best solution for this problem is to purchase a monthly pass. That pass was initially 38 dollars, but now will be raised to 48 dollars. It’s not ideal, but it’s better than paying about 120 dollars in a month just to get to school. Hopefully, this won’t prove to be too tedious of a situation to impact any of the students who take the city bus.