The Starbucks Revolution

By Shelby Benz, Editor

Each day, the hustle and bustle of everyday life seems to slow at these nodes of comfort and coffee. Starbucks has become an international phenomenon. Students at our own school come to class with cups of eloquently named coffee or caffeinated drinks. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has conducted surveys on caffeine consumption of children and adolescents. According to Jill Adams of the Huffington Post, “the proportion of caffeine coming from coffee increased from 10 percent to 24 percent” in the 2014 survey. Observationally, this phenomenon may be caused by the 27,000 Starbucks stores across the world. While there may be negative health effects correlated to a more caffeinated society, people nonetheless wait in line to order coffee ornamented with the famous green and white mermaid logo. Nick Rocha, Junior, believes that this trendy logo is part of its special appeal.

What really makes Starbucks so special? According to Lexie Sutter, junior, Starbucks has become a “fad” and has attained a powerful name with a force behind its title. She believes that part of the Starbucks appeal is that it is accessible, the drinks are tasty, and the menu has a wide variety of options for people with different tastes. Jennifer Gundran-Williams, of the SBO, stated that “…they are always coming out with something new.” Going to Starbucks is like an exploration of sugary goodness. Each season, they come out with several new flavors that charge a materialistic excitement for certain seasons, through items such as the Pumpkin Spice Latte. It is much like the Hallmark complex in which seasonal festivities breed a consumer thirst. The students of Modesto High had similar responses regarding the importance of Starbucks in modern American society. Natalie Linker, Junior, mentioned that social media platforms have helped give Starbucks an international name as well.

Starbucks stands out from the numerous coffee shop chains that scatter the nation. According to Ms. Harris, it is not the coffee that makes Starbucks so popular, “I think that it is the whole atmosphere. It is a culture. It breeds conversation, thinking, and creativity.” Each Starbucks has a warm, dark wood design dotted with chairs and tables for the customers. Students meet their companions to work on homework, adults bring laptops to tackle work projects.

Starbucks has unquestionably become a part of the culture of modern American society. Its popularity is cultivated by “millennialist” influence and supported by the curiosity of former generations. Unfortunately, like all aspects that are good, it has created a stereotype that is responsible for creating labels that drive a deeper wedge between the differences of people in society. The Starbucks “white girl” is just one of many motifs that may influence the way we see ourselves and see others. The Starbucks Revolution allows people to be more social and simultaneously productive. But it also forces us to reflect on the way we interact in the world and how materialistic ventures influence our opinions of others and ourselves. The ebb and flow of Starbucks is representative of a culture that is ever fluctuating, it is a revolution.