How Many More Lives?

"The greatest civil right you have is the right to stay alive."

By Jasmine López, Editor

The Never Again MSD is an organization that formed in the aftermath of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. The lives of 17 students, daughters, sons, nephews, nieces, grandchildren, friends, and humans were lost to a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle on February 14, 2018. This year alone there have been eight school shootings. . . we are only two months into the new year.  The shooting that I believe my generation was first impacted by, because we are able to remember it, was the mass school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012 in which 26 people were lost. We all thought it would never happen again, yet according to Everytown there have been 290 school shootings since Sandy Hook. Every morning we go to school sure that a shooting won’t happen at our school which is what the students at Stoneman Douglas High School thought on the morning of February 14. Most students were thinking of practice or test not where they should hide in order to protect themselves. Other countries have also been affected by school shootings. The difference between them and us is that they acted to protect their children. In Australia, after 35 people were killed by a lone gunman in 1996, Prime Minister John Howard pushed to make it illegal to carry a gun for personal protection.

Companies such as Best Western, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Metlife, and Hertz have cut their ties with the NRA, the National Rifle Association. Additionally, the airlines will end their discount programs for the members of the NRA. The Never Again organization has vocally condemned U.S. lawmakers who have received political contributions from the NRA. It is now time for us as a community to condemn our United States 10th District Representative, Jeff Denham, for the contributions he has received from the NRA. According to the Modesto Bee, Denham has received $62,900 from the National Rifle Association. We need a representative who “. . . will represent us – not the gun lobby.” (Pablo Torres, Modesto Bee) Let’s put aside political parties and fight for the safety of all.