Skipping Meals: The Good and the Bad

By Derek Tang, Reporter

While most of us have been taught the benefits of having breakfast, lunch, and dinner, few of us are aware of the benefits that may come from skipping a meal. Before I tackle this subject, there are several things about eating lunch that must be noted. 3 meals a day is the general norm and leads to a healthier life. In addition, eating food offers at least one of the six classes of nutrients – carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and water – all of which are necessary to sustain life. When asked about his opinion about skipping lunch, junior, Sumeet Singh, responded, “I think people who skip lunch should reconsider. School lunch is healthy and delicious and free and everyone deserves a taste. Sponsored by Sprite.” For serious students out there, maintaining strong academic performance is dependent on sufficient caloric and nutrient intake.

Here’s the deal. Several studies suggest that intermittent fasting may improve an athlete’s performance and energy efficiency significantly. Intermittent fasting is the practice of eating food at specific time intervals (e.g. eating breakfast at 8:00 sharp every morning) while also not eating food for a specific period of time. Caloric restriction forces the human body into a state of conservation, allowing the person to do more work without expending too much energy. People who exercise while fasting may increase their stamina and endurance similar to aerobic exercises. Heart rates were shown to be lower in subjects and higher tolerance to physical stress. Additionally, it leads to decreases in fat weight and the effects of asthma which are benefits that might appeal to people with these target issues and interests. The benefits really depend on the dieter.

Of course, there aren’t advantages without the disadvantages. Subjects who fasted lost 2.91% of muscle mass and also experienced decreases in their lean body mass (LBM). For those who don’t know what LBM is, it’s basically your total body fat weight subtracted from your total body weight. Obviously, most fasters will experience a noticeable drop in energy or level of alertness. When asked about what the worst problem of skipping lunch at school was, Everett Vasquez easily explained, “I wouldn’t skip lunch. I don’t want to be hungry.” Intermittent fasting takes a certain level of dedication but it’s up to you to decide whether or not the pros outweigh the cons.