Everybody’s Homecoming

By Shelby Benz, Editor

Women empowerment means the creation of an environment where all women are respected on all echelons of society – socially, economically, politically. Within our own district, their is a dearth of empowerment for the strong female athletes who work years to arrive on the varsity level, only to not be presented with equal opportunity.

Homecoming – it is the bloodline of school culture, coursing through every tier within the Modesto City School district. Athletics is such a profound part of the infrastructure of our schools, and yet one sex’s contributions are being valued more than the other’s through an institutionalization entrenched in tradition. Each high school in the district has two homecomings, both events featured are traditionally male dominated sports: football and basketball. But girls play basketball too. For fall homecoming, the freshmen football team plays the day before homecoming, and then JV and Varsity play on the designated homecoming day. During winter homecoming, freshmen, JV, and Varsity boys’ basketball teams play.

Controversy is rooted in the fact that the girls’ basketball league is not given the opportunity to play at one of the most anticipated games of the school year, or to even strive for it. We are numb to the reality we face each year. All athletes should be honored for their dedication to their sports. As of now, all three levels of boys’ basketball are recognized at homecoming and thus, at a higher merit than that of the highest level of girls’ basketball. All levels of boys play at our spring homecoming, when not even varsity girls have the chance to play.

It is not a matter of sport or whether our girls team will affirmatively beat the opposing team, or any other reasoning polluted by our spineless inability to act. It is fundamentally about giving girls a chance… a chance to play with the full throttle support and spirit of their school. It is about giving a voice to those who are not normally allowed one.

Shelby Benz, Editor

Shelby Benz is a Senior at Modesto High School who is currently enrolled in the International Baccalaureate Programme. She is a very involved student who...