International Festival

By Mehar Nijjar, Reporter

The 26th annual International Festival took place at Modesto Junior College on October 7, 2017. The festival lasted all day, from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. A stage for performances and multiple tents were set up on the grounds, including a Kids’ World area that provided arts and crafts for young children. An auspicious event, people attended all day, enjoying food and entertainment for all ages.

Tents that were put-up portrayed heritages from around the world, including but not limited to, Mexico, China, Vietnam, and Ireland. There were a number of cultural dances from South America, Asia, and Europe and dancers of all ages wore traditional clothing hued with bright, symbolic colors. Vendors served a variety of delicious, ethnic dishes including spring rolls, chow mein, tamales, beignets and falafels.

The activities set up for children in the Kids’ World were both interactive and abstract. One popular station was a hat-making station where old newspapers were used to create a hat structure. The children decorated their hats with bright feathers, pom-poms, ribbons and more, each wearing a uniquely-crafted, eco-friendly piece of art. Another stations involved coloring and labeling a map of nature’s formations (oceans, mountains, canyons, etc.).

The International Festival has been enjoyed for 26 years and many more to come! It is definitely recommended for anyone who is interested to attend, learn something new, perhaps make new friends, and broaden their horizon of our culturally-dense world.