The Gift of Giving

By Mehar Nijjar, reporter

This past Christmas, Modesto High’s Random Acts of Kindness club held a Teddy Bear Drive for foster children. Unfortunately, it is during this festive time of year that many children suffer family issues and displacement from home to home and guardian to guardian. In many cases, a stuffed toy is the most that foster services can do to cheer up and support a child going through tough times. Gifts are also not always guaranteed for these children and some can pass a Christmas without receiving any gifts at all. For these reasons, the teddy bear drive was held in hopes of raising the spirits of young children and giving to them what may seem so simple to anyone raised with proper nurture and attention.

The drive was open for all Modesto High students to donate and lasted about two weeks. The only requirements were that the toys must be new and stuffed. Although the collection was lacking at first, the club counted a total of 196 toys donated by the deadline! This was completely unexpected and┬áthrilling for club leaders to see. Toys collected ranged from large, plush teddy bears to singing animals to colorful unicorns – all of which could appeal to young children.

Finally, the toys were delivered right before Christmas, on December 22nd to Family Extension Foster Care Inc. in Stockton, CA. As the foster center was notified just on short notice, they were overjoyed to help us unload large bags and boxes full of toys for them to distribute this Christmas. The appreciation that Random Acts of Kindness received in return for the toys was a true sensation of the warmth of the gift of giving.