Fact of the week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fact of the week

By Yaritza Mendez, Reporter

Vampire squids eat “marine snow”. An interesting fact about “marine snow” is that it consists of a mixture of dead bodies, poop, and snot. The way that they consume their food is by extending their filaments to collect food that drifts past them.

These creatures live in the depths of the ocean, more than three thousand feet below the surface        where there is very little oxygen. For this reason, predators are minimal, but food sources is abundant.

It takes about thirteen months for a vampire squid to hatch from its egg shortly after, the mother dies. For the first few weeks they don’t need food, but they have an internal yolk like substance that they get nutritions from.

The difference from a regular squid and the vampire squid is that they live longer. Also they are not a threat to human kind due to not much interaction with them. If you are wondering if they drink blood, they don’t. They get the name “vampire” because of their intelligence of creating geometrical patterns on the ocean floor .

Upon learning about this exotic creature, I spoke with some of my classmates and this is the input that I received for example Marycruz Caballero replied “I think vampire squids are very crazy but interesting”. Rana Banankhah said “I think it’s interesting how vampire squids have photophores that cover their body in light.” Undeniably, the vampire squid amuses all with its ability to project light off their skin to protect themselves from predators, but to also attract prey.

Yaritza Mendez, Reporter

Yaritza Mendez is a freshman at Modesto High school. She likes to color, dance, and help others with their situations. Yaritza is a happy person all around...