The History of Modesto High School

Modesto HIgh School was the first school in the Central Valley to have a school with the International Baccalaureate Program, the AVID program, and the Performing Arts Academy. Modesto High is the oldest high school in Modesto, and among the oldest in California in 2015. Modesto High is by far the most diverse school in the district, maybe even in Stanislaus. There are 27 representative languages (Including English) in the diverse population of Modesto High. Teachers love it at Modesto High so much, that they never want to leave it. A teacher named Mr. Durr who is now retired was at the high school for 45 years. He started teaching in 1973 and had been able like so many teachers at Modesto high, get to see how the campus change, as well as the culture. Teachers like Mrs. Chavkin, or retired Mr. Azevedo saw over the years how the styles changed, and how people use to carry 5 books in there packback, to now using a computer for everything. Modesto High is one of the only schools to still sing the school hymn after almost every game, because it is about keeping the rituals and history of the school alive. “I am very happy I ended up at MoHi because every other high school has so much drama. At MoHi everyone is pretty cool and it’s super diverse so there aren’t really many clicks” (Lexi Sutter). Many at MoHi have relatives who have come here, from great grandparents, to their own parents. “My mom and dad were high school sweethearts, and both went to Modesto High. I am in the IB program and even though it sucks, I love it here and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.” (Alyssa Cover). This school has had it’s doors open for over a century, as well as giving out high school diplomas, and memories that will last a lifetime.