Cross Country Sections

By Michelle Tipton, Reporter

For most cross country runners, subsections is the last race of the season, but if you’re one of the top seven individuals in your division and your division qualifies for sections, then sections is usually your last race. Although it’s rare, some very dedicated and determined runners qualify for state and other rigorous races. This year, sections took place at Folsom High school, but only the top seven individuals from the freshman/sophomore girls division, varsity girls division, and the varsity boys division qualified. There was a bus that took all the runners who qualified, but it also took runners who didn’t qualify but chose to go and cheer on their team.

Jobanna Peralta is a runner that didn’t qualify for sections but chose to go and she said,”The race was thrilling and exciting and it was interesting to watch how competitive all the runners are. I also loved cheering on my friends who raced on Friday as well.” From a runner’s perspective, Natalie Mora said,” In the beginning, the race was stressful, especially since our varsity girls didn’t do as well as we hoped and when the varsity boys raced, you could feel the tension. Regardless, I’m happy I had the opportunity to run sections and although we couldn’t go to state since we’re JV, I’m excited about future races next year.”

Sections was an incredible race for many runners in the valley and from Modesto High. Although the season is over for the majority of runners, runners are already anticipating next season and hopefully, more students will join as well and experience cross country for themselves.