Cross Country Banquet

By Michelle Tipton, Reporter

Well, it’s officially the end of cross country season. On the night of November 16th, cross country runners and their families gathered in the cafeteria to listen to coaches reflect on the season and give awards. Almost immediately, everyone grabbed a plate and went in line to grab some delicious food provided by the parents. After everyone was done eating, the coaches began to give their speeches. One by one, each division was called up and congratulated for their hard work. While everyone received a certificate of participation, a few particular students from each division were given a plaque.

Aside from the speeches and rewards, Mrs. Batting put together a slide presentation consisting of Mr. Heese’s years as a young runner and running accomplishments throughout his life. In honor of his hard work as a cross country/track coach at Modesto High, a group of runners collected money to buy him a nice bag to replace a prior bag that was stolen. In conclusion to the night, a slideshow also made by Mrs. Batting was presented that consisted of several “roasts” against several runners and all the pictures were either taken by the photographer who attends the races or by other runners. Categories such as old man runner or best smile were included and small gifts were given to each runner in 1st place in each category. On the way out the door, families were grabbing slices of the beautiful cake made by Natalie Mora’s mother. Through and through, cross country had a great season and there will be much more to come!