MoHi Volleyball Players Start the Season with a Big Win

By Shelby Benz

Lady Panthers are kicking off the year strong with the sizeable win of an annual tournament. On 18 Saturday 2018, the MoHi volleyball team was one of many schools in the district that participated in the tournament of 32 teams, hosted by Orestimba and Hilmar high schools. In prior years, Modesto has made it through to the semi-finals. Last year MoHi lost to Gregori High School in the final round last season. But this year, Modesto High School Girls’ Volleyball broke the glass ceiling, winning the entire tournament, 6 games later.

Initiating the day at 7:00 a.m., the girls won their pool, playing Waterford, Bret Harte, and Johannson High, landing themselves in the Gold Division of the tournament. They played a brutal game of three matches against West High School, defensively scraping up the hits of a 6’4 college-bound middle blocker. This weekend, the Beyer Patriots beat the Gregori Jaguars, and then faced off against the Panthers in the semi-final round. The win against Beyer carried the Panthers into the final round against Hilmar High School.

At the end of a 12 hour day, MoHi beat Hilmar in the championship round, winning the gold division of the entire tournament and rounding off the tournament with a total of 425 attacks.

According to Coach Harris, “This was an amazing day filled with tons of heart-pounding, gut-wrenching moments! These girls literally left everything they had on the court. They proved to themselves that anything is possible when they refuse to give up! They also realized that they can match any opponent with their sheer will to be relentless.”

Led by captains Tori Galloway, Alyssa Cover, and Hannah Scott, the Lady Panthers have continued playing hard, carrying this success throughout the season. With a current record of 11-0 (wins to losses), these girls are doing what panthers do best: they fight for eachother and they fight to win.