Modesto Versus Stagg Football

By Derek Tang, Reporter

With the Varsity Modesto High football team winning with a score of 26-16 against Stagg High, the panthers gain another victory adding up to a total score of 3-2. Initially, Stagg had a head start against Modesto with a two-point lead. Cole Margarite, when asked about his perspective during the first quarter explained, “There were a lot of mistakes that could have cost us but by the end of the first quarter, we kept our heads high and knew that we could still beat Stagg so we played as a team and overcame our mistakes.” It wasn’t until the second quarter that Modesto regained its footing with a touchdown and a field goal bringing them to 7-2. Following the end of half-time and entering the third quarter, Modesto managed to bring in 19 points still shadowing over Stagg’s 9 points. The most impressive play was made in the fourth quarter by No. 15 Daeveon Graves who ran 58 yards starting from the 10-yard line effectively turning the tables on Stagg.  To summarize, Modesto High managed to pull themselves together halfway through the game and win. Ethan Adamson, a member of the Black Hole told me about his opinion on the game and said, “The team did well and our run game seems to be developing effectively. I’m excited as the team shows a lot of promise.” Ultimately, this could be seen as a valuable learning experience for the varsity team in later games.

Although the spotlight is mostly focused on the football players and their plays, there are several other topics of interest. Pep band was especially interesting this time around when they surprised the audience at the end of the third quarter with an arrangement of Baby Shark ­– the annoyingly repetitive song directed towards children (Google at your own risk). If you’re looking for a good time, the Modesto High home football games aren’t a bad option for food, music, or the excitement of sports.

Derek Tang, Reporter

Derek Tang is a random reporter who joined Journalism for the practical arts credits. In a bizarre and unforeseen twist, he has put forth an unprecedented...