Living a Healthy Lifestyle

Tips to keep on track

By Nicole Parhizgari, Staff Writer

With good food habits and daily physical activity, you can be well on your way to a healthy life.  Easy to say, but sometimes not so easy to do and maintain!

Our busy lifestyles can be hard on our health. Rushing to and from school and activities can make it hard to find time to be physically active. It’s easy to slide on to the couch after a long day while eating  unhealthy snacks and take-out or spending our free time watching TV or in front of the computer. However, these choices can be dangerous for our health and bad for our future.That’s why it’s so important to stop, take action,  and make a conscious decision to follow a healthy lifestyle.

There are a few simple ways for you to lead a healthy lifestyle and get back on track:

Get Active

• Regular physical activity is important for the healthy growth, development and well-being of  young people.
  • You should get at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day, including vigorous activities that make you sweat.
  • Keep a positive attitude while exercising, and take breaks in between so you don’t overdo it!

Healthy Meal Choices

• Water is the best way to quench your thirst – and it doesn’t come with the added sugar found in fruit juices, soft drinks, and other sweetened drinks.
  • Reduced fat milk is a nutritious drink and a great source of calcium.
  • Whole fruit to eat is better than fruit juices that have a lot of sugar.
  • Fewer snacks and healthier choices will make a big difference- if you’re having a sweet tooth, choose some fruit over some fruit snacks.
  • Eating fruit and vegetables every day helps us grow and develop, boosts their vitality and can reduce the risk of many chronic diseases.
  • Aim to eat two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables every day.
  • Have fresh fruit available as a convenient snack and try to include fruit and veggies in every meal.

Switch off that Screen

• Sedentary or ‘still’ time spent watching TV, surfing online or playing computer games is linked to kids becoming overweight or obese.
  • Young people should spend no more than two hours a day on ‘small screen’ entertainment.
  • Plan a range of active indoor and outdoor games or activities as alternatives to watching TV or playing on the computer.

Finally, make sure to maintain your healthy lifestyle. Only following through for a couple of months won’t bring results! Living healthy will not only make you look great, but you will feel great as you will have more energy throughout the day!