You Come First

By Mehar Nijjar, Reporter

The Random Acts of Kindness club had a meeting after school on Friday, March 9th. After having successfully completed a number of acts of kindness for others, often times strangers, the focus of the club is now being directed towards the students of Modesto High. After observing breakdowns, rants, complaints, and a generally negative attitude of countless students, it was decided that prioritization should be brought to their attention. Hidden behind the covers of social media, are many individuals who are dealing with the stress of family, school, and everyday life. For this reason, the club planned a meeting in which the idea of self care and prioritization would be introduced and reflected upon. After a brief introduction to the topic, a self assessment was passed out to people who attended the meeting. At the top of the quiz was a quote by Jack Kornfield, “If your compassion doesn’t include yourself, it is incomplete.” Along with the instructions was the bold-faced message that this quiz was solely for the person taking it and that answer would not be shared or discussed. In this way, the club hoped that the students would be more true to themselves and answer honestly to each contemplative question. The quiz consisted of questions about the students’ stress levels, anxiety, negativity, and priorities. The last question was the ultimatum of the club’s objective, “What’s more important to you: your mental/physical health or your studies/grades.” After completion, club members were asked what they thought about the quiz and responses were that they were positioned to self-reflect and that they realized what they must work on.

The main take-away from the whole experience was to think about your daily habits and priorities, and how they will affect you in the long term.

Mehar Nijjar, Reporter

Hi there. My name is Mehar and I'm a junior at Modesto High School. Hobbies of mine include: listening to music , going for walks, reading, and watching...