Health is Wealth

Top 5 Tips for a Healthier, Happier Lifestyle!

By Mehar Nijjar, Reporter

1. A balanced diet. It is crucial to consume all the necessary nutrients that your body needs to feel and perform at its best level. By making adjustments along the way, you will begin to notice a difference in your energy levels when you control your diet versus when you eat mindlessly. Ways to implement balance in nutrition include replacing processed snacks with healthy alternatives like fruits, nuts, tea, dark chocolate, crackers, etc.
  2. Water. Roughly 3/4 of our bodies are composed of water. In turn, it is important that we habituate at least 8 large glasses of water into our everyday routine. Just some of the countless benefits include longer lasting energy, better digestion, regulation of body temperature, clearer skin.
  3. Sleep. It cannot be emphasized enough much the amount of sleep we get influences our everyday behavior, emotions, energy, and performance. Although it can be difficult at times to ensure enough sleep, you can refuel yourself with power naps, which are short and effective. In addition, the quality of  your sleep can improved by switching on “Night Mode” on any screens that you use two hours before going to bed. (Bonus: turn your phone on Airplane Mode before you go to bed to reduce the amount of radiation in your room).
  4. Exercise. Inevitably, if we aren’t active enough, we will feel sluggish, moody, and heavy. After crossing the bridge of making the decision, exercise can become part of your daily routine. In the case of a tight schedule in which you have little time to exercise, you can do quick at-home workouts that can be found on YouTube and other apps, as well as get in those push-ups, squats, jumping jacks, etc. during breaks or while cooking. Dancing is one of the best way to get in your exercise while having fun!
  5.  You-time. Priorities will align once you begin to listen to your mind and body, whether it means spending some time with just yourself, taking a bubble bath, reading, or doing any of your favorite activities. Socializing and talking to others is effective in its own ways. Doing things you enjoy can significantly reduce the stress of everyday life, school, or work.