Recipe of the Week – Chicken Stir Fry

By Lauren Byerly, Reporter

I’ve recently discovered that I really enjoy cooking, and decided to try out this recipe this weekend! I had a lot of fun making it, and it didn’t take a lot of time either!

Original Recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/223382/chicken-stir-fry/

Ingredients:

• 2 cups white rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 2/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut to desired size
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 bell pepper, cut to desired size
  • 1 can sliced water chestnuts (although I would leave them out, as I didn’t like them very much)
  • 1 head of broccoli, broken into florets
  • 1 cup of chopped carrots
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped (I added this to the original recipe and really liked it!)

Directions:

• Put rice and water in a pot over high heat. Once the water begins to boil, turn the heat down to medium low and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
  • Mix soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Whisk until no lumps remain. If there are lumps of brown sugar which refuse to break up, simply remove them from the mixture.
  • Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper to the mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Then combine the sauce and the cut chicken thighs in a bag. Leave to marinate for 25 minutes.
  • In a large skillet, combine sesame seed oil, bell pepper, water chestnuts, broccoli, carrots, onion, and zucchini over medium-high heat. Cook for 10 minutes, or until onions are just starting to change color. Make sure to keep the vegetables moving in the pan in order to prevent burning.
  • Put hot water in a covered glass/china container for 1 minute. Then pour out the water and place the now cooked vegetables into the container. (Putting water in first makes the container warm so that it doesn’t sap the heat out of your vegetables)
  • Remove the chicken from the marinade, keeping the marinade in the bag. Heat sesame oil in the skillet once more and put the chicken in the skillet. Cook chicken until it is almost done, and then add the vegetables and marinade into the skillet.
  • Bring this mixture to a boil (using high heat) and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked.
  • Serve and enjoy!

Lauren Byerly, Reporter

Lauren Byerly is a Senior who has been a part of the International Baccalaureate Program since Freshman year. She has been involved with the Cross Country...