Labor Day

The Origins

Back to Article
Back to Article

Labor Day

By Jasmine Lopez, Reporter

What is Labor Day? What comes to the mind of most people is that there’s no work or school. While this may be true, there’s a reason why they get a day off from school and work. Labor Day is always the first Monday in the month of September. The holiday is the result from the labor movement, and it is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. The first state bill to recognize the day was introduced to New York legislature. However, Oregon was the first to make it a law on February 21, 1887. Then, Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York — created the Labor Day holiday by legislative enactment. On June 28, 1894, Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year and official holiday in the District of Columbia and in all the territories. It is still not clear who suggested this holiday for the workers. Although is was made a law in 1894, the first labor day was held on September 5, 1882 by the Central Labor Union in New York City. Moreover, it was not held on a Monday but a Tuesday. It wasn’t until 1884 that it was decided the day would take place on a Monday. The American people have the American worker to thank for this holiday due to all their sacrifices and contributions.