NBA: Kyrie Irving

Boston Celtics' Kyrie Irving stands on the court during the second half of the team's NBA basketball game against the Brooklyn Nets on Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017, in New York. The Celtics won 109-102. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

PC: AP

PC: AP

By Rahul Walia, Reporter

Boston Celtics guard Kyrie Irving expressed frustration with the clear protective mask that he wore while returning to game action Tuesday night, but said it was still a better option than the black one he once used during a memorable performance here in New York. Irving overcame his frustrations Tuesday to score a team-high 25 points on 8-of-20 shooting as the Celtics won their 13th straight game, 109-102 over the Brooklyn Nets at Barclays Center. Irving famously scored a career high 41 points against the New York Knicks while wearing a black mask in December 2012, during his second season with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Irving soon changed to a clear fitted version of the mask. Irving was aware that social media was buzzing for a return of the black mask, but he playfully detailed why it was better to stick with a clear one to protect the facial fracture he suffered when a teammate elbowed him last week. Irving repeatedly wrestled with the mask Tuesday, fidgeting with the straps at times while dribbling up the court and removing it completely during almost every dead-ball situation. When he missed a layup while being fouled on a late first-half drive, Irving angrily pried the mask off his face.