Netflix Recommendations

By Jasmine López, Editor

Two men by the names of Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph introduced the world to Netflix on August 29th, 1997. As a avid Netflix watcher, I’ve seen most of what Netflix has to offer. Therefore, my sole duty on earth is to share with you what I consider to be Must Watch films on Netflix.

Moonrise Kingdom 

Wes Anderson who brought us The Royal Tenenbaums, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Rushmore, and many more debuted Moonrise Kingdom in the summer of 2012. His films are my favorite second to Woody Allen films. Moonrise Kingdom is set on an island off the coast of New England in the Summer of 1965. Two twelve years olds fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As authorities try to find them, a violent storm is brewing off-shore and the peaceful island community is flipped upside down in many ways than anyone can handle. This movie portrays New England in a gloomy sea side town rather than a preppy ambient. It is the perfect movie to watch when you have some down time.

The Fundamentals of Caring 

This film is a Netflix Original which features Selena Gomez, Paul Rudd, and Craig Roberts. Paul Rudd portrays Ben who suffered a tragedy and lands a caregiver job. His first client, Trevor, is a hilarious and witty 18 year old with muscular dystrophy. Trevor and Ben both have their own reason to hit the road. They take a trip into the western states and along the way pick up hitchhikers. Together, they learn the importance of a true friendship.

1 Night

Thirty-something who must decide whether to salvage her relationship with Drew after much personal disappointment. Meanwhile, Bea, a worrisome teenager, reconnects with her introverted childhood friend, Andy to overcome their difference in high school status following their prom. Past and present collide as two couples explore love over the course of one night at a hotel. This film perfectly compares two couples at different stages of their lives. The two couples need to decide what the future holds for them.

Good Kids 

This film follows four overachieving high schools students who, upon graduating, realize that they’re missed out on key life experiences by always following the rules. They decide to reinvent themselves in order to live up their last summer together before college.

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)

This film is an emotional and comic intergenerational tale of adult siblings contending with the long shadow of their strong-willed father has cast over their lives. The cast features Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffman. and Emma Thompson.