Meme Day

By Anna Rinne, Reporter

Junior Tyler Posey recreating the “It is Wednesday, my dudes” vine.

On Wednesday of homecoming week, Modesto High students recreated their favorite memes for the sophomore leadership class’s spirit day. Sophomore leadership student Ugochi Anunne said the class chose Meme Day because “A lot of people suggested meme day…We wanted the school to have a say in the dress up days so we couldn’t just disregard all the dress up day suggestions even if it did not match the video game theme.”

The most popular costumes included Arthur the aardvark, recreated with a yellow sweater and blue jeans, and Salt Bae, recreated with a white shirt, sunglasses, and salt. Sophomore Ruben Marquez, who dressed up as the iconic troll meme, said, “My favorite part of Meme Day was being able to bring back one of the best original memes. I loved seeing my favorite memes being recreated in real life.”

Because many memes are difficult to recreate, most students did not dress up. However, everyone in the school enjoyed seeing the costumes of the creative students who chose to participate as they walked through the halls. Junior Isabella Regalado said her favorite part of Meme Day was “seeing all [of her] favorite vines recreated.” Freshman Anthony Lopes’s favorite costume was freshman Sarah Rinne’s recreation of the Snapchat hot dog while she wore a hot dog costume and green headphones.