Gun Law Walkouts

Students who walked out of their Montgomery County, Maryland, schools protest against gun violence in front of the White House in Washington, U.S., February 21,  2018.  REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque - RC164B322F90

Students who walked out of their Montgomery County, Maryland, schools protest against gun violence in front of the White House in Washington, U.S., February 21, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque - RC164B322F90

PC: REUTERS

PC: REUTERS

By Sarah Rinne, Reporter

Image result for gun law school walkoutsStudents across the United States have recently been organizing and participating in school walkouts. After the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida, students feel the need to take a stand and make sure lawmakers are aware of their opinions of gun laws. The school shooting in Florida left 17 dead and at least 14 more injured. Many people are outraged that gun laws permitted the shooter to legally purchase his gun without a mental health background check. This is why students all over the country, including survivors of the Florida shooting, are walking out of their classrooms and making a statement.

These walkouts have had mixed reactions. The schools have not had a positive reaction to these protests. A school district in Texas has threatened to suspend every student that walks out of class to protest gun laws. They had said that even if 500 students protested, they would all get a suspension. Other schools have since then followed this concept and threatened the same. Certain celebrities, however, have positively responded to the movement. George Clooney and his wife donated $500,000 to the #NeverAgain movement that was created by Stoneman Douglas senior Sofie Whitney. Oprah Winfrey and Steven Spielberg then both matched that donation.

So far, the protests have not lead to a change in gun laws, but many students are feeling empowered to continue to speak out and fight for what they believe in.

Sarah Rinne, Reporter

Sarah Rinne is a freshman in the International Baccalaureate program at Modesto High School. In her first year of high school, she is excited to become...