The Derate Snapchat Update

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Derate Snapchat Update

This past February 22nd marked a day of change for all Snapchat users. A major update came out which drastically changed the layout of the app. Instead of the classic chronological order for your streaks, and stories on the right, both your messages and stories were combined; and on the right side the global stories are now located. This update has received a lot of backlash from thousands of people, especially on Twitter.

Many people have their opinions on this new update. Sophomore Lyla Mazuelos asked Snapchat, “Why did-why-why. It made me lose all my streaks in one day.” Mazuelos is very distressed by the update, and constantly wonders why they changed the features. Many people too share this opinion. Mazuelos’ fellow sophomore Lilah Capp also made a statement saying, “I really hate the new Snapchat update, I really feel like I’ve gotten used to it though.” This too seems to be common amongst Snapchat users. I myself do not like this new update, and have come to name it  “The Derate Snapchat Update”. Due to this update many users have limited their time on Snapchat, in order to avoid to conflict that this update has caused.

Such conflicts include the usage of the platform itself. Sophomore Angie Silva Mendoza commented, “I don’t know how to use it, and I haven’t seen my Snapchat [story].” Many people do not know how to see their friends stories, nor their own stories. This has truly derailed the convenience of the app to many (In order to see your story view the home camera and hit the top left corner, you will see a bar near the bottom labeled “My Story” there). A true personal problem that I myself find when using the app, is that when wanting to view one of my friends private group stories, I have to individually search for it by search bar, or by scanning through all the global stories. Many problems like this have occurred to many people, and they all hope to get their previous Snapchat back.

Though there is constant backlash on the Snapchat update, some people have in fact seen it in a more positive way. Positives such as you can now skip over other’s stories if you wish; and also that you can see some of your friends stories faster.

The question standing: Will Snapchat revert back to its old format, or will it just continue with the new one? With enough feedback they have reassured a ‘fix’ in the future, however will this just make it worse, or will it improve what many believe has destroyed the old formatting. All we can hope is to keep our streaks alive, and to keep chatting, one snap at a time.