Ask Alexa – Should I Get A Cat?

By Lauren Byerly, Reporter

Hi! I’ve been thinking about getting a cat for a long time now, and I want to ask my parents if I can get one. How do I know that I would be a good pet owner?

– Anon

Hi Anon!

I’ve had quite a few cats, and honestly, they’re not that hard to take care of! I would just make sure that you have the time and energy to deal with them first!

The main things you’re going to need to do if you get a cat are: feed them regularly (twice a day, breakfast and dinner), give them water regularly (I add more water to the water bowl once or twice a day), change their litter box (every few days, depending on how much they need to go and how often they go to the bathroom outside).

None of these chores are particularly difficult, especially if you have one cat, the difficulty is remembering to do them! I recommend setting a few alarms or reminders on y0ur phone to remember when to do them!

Lastly, remember that your cat is another living creature. You’re going to need to give them attention and love, and they might wake you up in the middle of the night, meowing in your face, waiting for you to feed them. You’re making a commitment by getting a cat; don’t take it lightly.

Hope this helps!

– Alexa

P.S. Adopt your cat from the Stanislaus Animal Shelter! Due to the large number of animals they intake every day, they are forced to be a kill shelter! Ever since I was a little kid my family and I have gotten all of our cats from there, and they’ve all been amazing!